Friday, March 13, 2009

16th Day of Lent

VESSEL
By Debra Rienstra


Fill me,
for I have nothing.
Dry as a desert widow,
I offer dust to travelers.

I pour and pour
till my edges ache.
Mirage of fragrant oil
recedes to thinner
nothing.

Empty,
I set myself aside.

How curious, though---
a pale surface
glossed with light;
spiraled pattern of your making
dashed with color;
I a concave stillness
Waiting, opened
in wonder.

Let me hold nothing too long
for empty
I am beautiful.


...And we rejoice in the hope of the glory of God. Not only so, but we also rejoice in our sufferings, because we know that suffering produces perseverance; perseverance, character; and character, hope. And hope does not disappoint us, because God has poured out his love into our hearts by the Holy Spirit, whom he has given us.

Romans 5:2-5 (NIV)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

How often I try to pour myself into others - only to find that it's dust, not the water that they really need. I try to fix things, plan things, meet expectations... all dust. What I really need & what the world really needs is to be filled with the refreshing, life-giving water of Jesus. Because when we're filled with his living water, you can still see the beautiful swirls of color that disappear when we're filled with self. Fill me with springs of eternal water and empty me of the dust of self, that I may be beautiful in thought, word & deed, a piece of your kingdom here on earth.

Anonymous said...

Amen!